Blog

Riding the Madone

Riding the Madone on Friday

This was going to be my post about riding the new Madone 5.2. However in the chaos that is a huge event like the Trek 100 charity ride, someone took my Madone before the ride even started. It even had my name decaled to the top tube! I searched for a replacement Madone that would fit me, but no luck. So instead I rode the LeMond Tete de Course. It was completely kitted out in SRAM Force and 65mm Aeorus wheels. Very nice! The other magazine editors couldn’t help but laugh at the irony of my situation. Trek flies me out to Wisconsin to ride the Madone, which I did briefly yesterday, and I end up riding a LeMond for the Trek 100. However I did get the low-down on the Madone and they’re going to ship me one this Monday. My riding partners liked their Madones if that’s an indication of anything. At least now I have something to look forward to riding.
Signing out from the Wilwaukee Airport…

[Posted with hblogger 2.0 http://www.normsoft.com/hblogger/]

The 90mm wide bottom bracket shell. Notice that the outboard bearings are gone. The bearings are in the shell.

9 Responses to “Riding the Madone”

1. Jason Schifo June 2, 2007 at 1:18 pm #

Looked like a sharp bike Neil. I am not partial to Trek at all the fi feels goofy but its interesting to see such a departure from their traditional geometry. The new Madone looks one part Tarmac…One part Look 595 in my opinion.
    Looking forward to hearing the full ride review.
    Jason

2. Anonymous June 2, 2007 at 3:17 pm #

You were the best looking of all the road editors on that nice Lemond bike though. Apart from the guy from Cycle Sport obviously!!!!!

3. Erik June 2, 2007 at 3:54 pm #

Looks kinda like an Orca (orbea)!
    Erik

4. Anonymous June 2, 2007 at 4:40 pm #

Any idea as to what the tour squad will be riding this year?

5. Josh Boggs June 2, 2007 at 5:13 pm #

Good call, Erik. Sorry about the ride, Neil. Did you get those hoods?

6. Anonymous June 3, 2007 at 8:36 am #

The bike looks really nice. But what’s with Lance going sockless (or super short socked)?

7. blue squirrel June 3, 2007 at 11:03 am #

lance is obviously trying to look the part of an old school sprinter [ie, sockless]

personally it reminds me of the BH. i think we all forget sometimes in this world of advanced technology and individual looking designs, in the end there is only so much one can do with carbon frames. just like with the pro steel frames of years gone by, the only difference in frames at some point will come down to the master frame maker [oops, mold maker].

8. Anonymous June 8, 2007 at 7:58 pm #

Nice kit! Look at the guns on that SOB in front. Oh wait, that’s Neil.

9. Anonymous June 10, 2007 at 3:25 am #

Being a fan of LeMond bikes, how about a review of the Tete de Course?