Blog

Team Sky’s kit and other disasters

@TeamSky on Twitpic
Is 2010 going to be the year of bad kits? RadioShack needs a new design, Astana is still using poor color combinations and Sky’s is as creative as a middle school art project. What is going on out there? Is this a sign that everyone, even team staff, is racing clean and are now boring?

Related posts:

Tags: , ,

25 Responses to “Team Sky’s kit and other disasters”

1. Rica620 January 4, 2010 at 9:38 am #

Well, just because the racers and their staff are drug-free doesn’t mean they can’t hire the frequently drunken, stoned graphic designers… ;) I don’t think a team would get disqualified from the Tour de France if their jerseys were designed by a pothead.

2. Rica620 January 4, 2010 at 9:45 am #

BTW, if those Astana kits are the new ones as well, aside from having Contador on their team, they are setting themselves for a whole new batch of teasing… oh, boy.

3. neilroad January 4, 2010 at 10:25 am #

A look at Sky’s Facebook page confirms my worst fear – these are in fact their kit for 2010. Sky management needs to go to a nearby community college and hire some brain addled, yet creative first year graphic designers.

4. Chris Carlson January 4, 2010 at 11:37 am #

Neil,
    I gotta disagree with you. I think the kits are clean and simple. They are kind of retro in a way. If they hadn’t come from Addidas, I would say they came from Rapha. I love the three stripes on the bibs. Nice little details. They are much better looking than Radioshack’s kits. You can clearly see all the sponsors.

Only disadvantage is that they are black. (although the back is predominately white). I think they might have to change to white because of heat issues. (just like Cervelo had to do last year)

5. neilroad January 4, 2010 at 11:44 am #

I do like the white Cervelo and Rapha Condor kits, however the black with blue stripe in the middle design just does nothing for me.

6. Chris Carlson January 4, 2010 at 12:03 pm #

Sky is smart for not taking the NASCAR approach to designing their kits.(NASCAR=LOGOS and Visual noise everywhere) I also have to say that anything is better than the new Astana kits. A color-blind monkey, throwing poo could have designed a better kit than Astana’s :-)

7. neilroad January 4, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

NASCAR is a design abomination. But can millions of rednecks be wrong? @Chris Carlson

8. Rica620 January 4, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

@neilroad
    Dear G-d… if they are right, then I want to be wrong! ;)

9. Chris Carlson January 4, 2010 at 12:13 pm #

@neilroad
    Yes, Millions of Rednecks can be wrong. :-)

10. neilroad January 4, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

This is the new Team Sky kit? Horrible. http://neilbrowne.com/2010/01/team-skys-

11. rgrissom January 4, 2010 at 2:32 pm #

@neilroad I don’t think its horrible but it certainly isn’t going to perform well in the heat.

12. loopybunny January 4, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

@neilroad “Middle school art project”! I was thinking similar – looks like a kid designed it. No creativity whatsoever.

• lunar11 January 4, 2010 at 9:43 am #

@loopybunny @neilroad I like it. Simple.

13. pjrabice January 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm #

@neilroad Wow. not good.

14. francobikes January 4, 2010 at 2:54 pm #

@neilroad whose kit do you like?

15. gobi_one January 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm #

@neilroad kit really has taken a dull dive

16. bwcycling January 4, 2010 at 3:28 pm #

@neilroad About what you’d expect from a British team. They think they have fashion down but instead look like a bunch of shirt lifters.

17. Plastic_Peloton January 4, 2010 at 3:35 pm #

@neilroad I like it! And, more importantly, it’ll be easy to paint!

18. skipbadger January 4, 2010 at 4:32 pm #

@neilroad the sky kits are kinda like British food and British teeth. No flash at all. They simply get the job done.

19. Ross F January 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm #

@Chris Carlson
    Yup, I agree with Chris. After being overwhelmed with sponsorship logo on the likes of Columbia and Kelly last season, i prefer the cleaner non cluttered look. My team has done the same thing with this years kit. Keep it simple. This at least appies to Sky’s kit. The Shack kit already needs an overhaul but my bets are that the TdF kit will look much better.

20. jayneduVall January 4, 2010 at 8:22 pm #

@neilroad so Neil, what team do you think has the best kit?

21. azens January 5, 2010 at 9:13 am #

If I were Alberto I would be trying to leave Astana just so I didnt have to wear that kit, its hideous. The new shack kit is terrible, the sky kit is very underwhelming. The only decent new kit I have seen for next season is the Quick Step kit, the one they tried to wear during the classics season last year. All and all its going to be a ugly year in cycling.

22. TWIN SIX January 5, 2010 at 1:14 pm #

Agreed on all “bad design” comments. We are standing by, should anyone need some assistance.

23. Rica620 January 6, 2010 at 6:19 pm #

In all fairness, now seeing these from above, they don’t look so bad.

Of course, we wont all be watching from an airplane directly overhead.

24. Drew Scott January 11, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

Has anyone seen Footon-Servetto-Fuji’s new kit? It might actually make you physically sick, http://www.fuji-servetto.com/.