Blog

Taylor Phinney at the Tour of Oman – the legacy continues

I know the buzz right now is news that Alberto Contador is looking to skate from a positive result for Clenbuterol during the 2010 Tour de France. Looks like the Spanish Cycling Federation/The Good Buddies Club strikes again! But what I was also thinking about was Taylor Phinney’s debut in the BMC colors at the Tour of Oman.

As a junior racer I had posters of my cycling heroes hung in my room. There is one photo that I will always remember – shot from the front and looking like he’d just been called to the start line is Davis Phinney. He’s casually sitting on the top tube of his Huffy/Serotta, leaning forward and in a pose that looks like Rodin’s “The Thinker.” His biceps bulge as his thumb props up his chin. Phinney’s iridescent Oakley Factory Pilot glasses give him a look like he was going to destroy the competition and then take their women. It was bad ass. I’m pretty sure I went out and bought Factory Pilots just because of that photo.

Whenever my buddies and I were staging for a race, my buddies and I would jokingly try to emulate Davis’ “The Thinker” pose knowing full well there was no way we could ever pull off that “look.” The man has won more races than any American pro – 328 in all. Yeah, wrap your head around that fact.

Starting tomorrow Mini-Phinney lines up at the Tour of Oman and I can’t wait to see him race. With parents like Davis and Connie it is a hard legacy to live up to and I’m hoping team management has the good sense to take their time with him. By the looks of his reported four-year contract BMC seems prepared to do just that. I just hope he remembers to do “The Thinker” in homage to his father.

8 Responses to “Taylor Phinney at the Tour of Oman – the legacy continues”

1. neilroad February 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm #

Looking forward to @BMCProTeam ‘s @TaylorPhinney racing in Oman. I remember his dad http://neilbrowne.com/2011/02/taylor-phi

• MI_Cycling_Fan February 14, 2011 at 10:48 pm #

@neilroad @TaylorPhinney It’s hard to imagine someone who’s 6’4″+ as being ‘mini’ anything. :-)

2. Becky February 14, 2011 at 7:04 pm #

is this the “Thinker” pic you were referring to?

• Neil February 14, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

Yep that’s the one.

3. Steve Compton February 14, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

Rode up part of Vail Pass with Davis last summer. The dude is still a stud!

4. guy c. February 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

man he looks like hes gonna rip everyones legs off !!!

5. George Mauro February 28, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

Taylor Phinney and Ben King and Carter Jones and the rest of the young herd represent the first generation to not be tainted by doping. It is a fresh beginning and I hold great hope for the growth of this sport.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Taylor Phinney at the Tour of Oman - the legacy continues | Browne Eye Cycling Blog -- Topsy.com - February 14, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Neil Browne, BMC Racing Team. BMC Racing Team said: RT @neilroad: Looking forward to BMC Racing Team's @taylorphinney racing in Oman. I remember his dad, @davisphinney. http://bit.ly/eyFLke [...]